Back pain is one of the most common medical problems, affecting eight out of ten people at some point during their lives. Neck pain, back pain, weakness, or numbness can be caused by a variety of conditions including: arthritis or other degenerative diseases, ruptured discs, pinched nerves, or acute injuries from falls or accidents. Pain can range from a dull, constant ache in the neck and back to a sudden, sharp, piercing or burning that can radiate through the upper and lower extremities.
The neck and spine are complex systems that include: 24 vertebrae, over 200 muscles, over 100 joints, and approximately 120 ligaments. Due to the complexity involved, conditions affecting the neck and back require highly skilled specialists for accurate diagnosis and treatment. The Orthopaedic Spine and Neuro team at SportsMED includes two neurosurgeons, two orthopaedic spine surgeons, and two physiatrists. This combination of spine specialists is unique to SportsMED and offers the most comprehensive course of treatment for all patients.
Our spine specialists utilize advanced imaging technologies and 3D image guided software to perform minimally invasive and complex spine procedures. Real time feedback allows for greater accuracy, smaller incisions, increased safety, and better outcomes for patients. If persistent neck and back pain is limiting your ability to bend, twist, lift, or move, SportsMED can help.
SOME OF THE MOST COMMON SPINE CONDITIONS WE TREAT INCLUDE:
- Cervical radiculopathy (pinched nerve)
- Degenerative joint disease
- Fractures of the spine
- Herniated discs (cervical, thoracic, and lumbar spine)
- Lumbar radiculopathy / Sciatica
- Myelopathy (spinal cord compression)
- Spinal stenosis
- Spondylolisthesis (slipped bones in the spine)
SOME OF THE MOST COMMON SPINE PROCEDURES WE PERFORM INCLUDE:
- Anterior / Posterior / Extreme Lateral spinal fusion
- Anterior cervical discectomy and fusion
- Artificial disc replacement
- Laminoforaminotomy for cervical and lumbar radiculopathy
- Minimally invasive discectomy and spine decompression
- Scoliotic deformity correction
SPINE MEDICINE SPECIALISTS:
Orthopedic Spine Surgeons:
Curt Freudenberger, M.D.
Javier A. Reto, M.D.
Sanat Dixit, M.D.
John Johnson, Jr., M.D.
Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation:
Kristina Janssen Donovan, D.O.
Ryan Aaron, M.D.
Victor Chin, M.D.