Each patient will be instructed individually by his/her surgeon regarding pre and post operative instruction. Each surgery is different and unique instructions may apply. Please contact your physician or your physician's assistant if you have questions concerning pre and post op care.
- Do NOT eat or drink anything after midnight before your surgery (not even water or gum). If you are allowed to take your home medications, then take them with only a small sip of water.
- Please arrange for someone to accompany and drive you the day of your surgery. You will not be allowed to drive.
- If you are currently taking Coumadin, Plavix, or high doses of Aspirin, please consult your prescribing physician for pre-op schedule of your medication.
- If you are currently being treated for a heart or lung condition, then normally an approval is needed prior to surgery. Please call your doctor and arrange for this approval to be faxed to 256-704-1703.
- If scheduled at the Surgery Center of Huntsville, please call 256-533-4888 to pre-register prior to your surgery.
- If scheduled at Crestwood Medical Center, please call 256-429-5060 to schedule pre-op lab work appointment. Take the lab instructions given to you at our office with you. If you are scheduled for a total knee or hip replacement, the hospital will contact youregarding an appointment at the hospital for a joint class before your sugery. You can have your lab work done at this time.
- Keep your bandage clean and dry at all times. If your post-op appointment is scheduled for 2 weeks, then change bandage daily. Clean incision with alcohol.
- Swelling is common following surgery. The use of ice 15 minutes an hour and elevation of affected extremity will help decrease swelling.
- If you are given a prescription for pain, please take the medication as prescribed by your physician. This medication will decrease your pain following surgery, but some discomfort is expected.
- To prevent nausea, it is best to take pain medication with food.
- Drink plenty of fluids with medication to prevent constipation.
- Do not drive if taking pain medication.
- Pain medication will contain Tylenol, so do not take any additional Tylenol while taking pain medication.
Additional instructions will be given to you on your first post-op appointment.
If you have any questions/concerns please contact a member of your physician’s clinical staff.